By Jeffrey L Cummings, Serge Gauthier
Given the improvement of latest healing concepts and items, Serge Gauthier and Jeffrey Cummings have compiled an inventory of up to date issues so as to be of curiosity essentially to neurologists concentrating on Alzheimer's ailment, and in addition to psychiatrists and geriatricians. The members, all revered of their subspecialties, have written up to date, comprehensively referenced chapters which should supply counsel in addition to stimulate dialogue on the place present remedy is heading.
Read or Download Alzheimer's disease and related disorders annual, 2002 PDF
Similar geriatrics books
The fourth version of the hugely acclaimed rules and perform of Geriatric medication provides an account of the basic adjustments linked to getting old, that are necessary to our figuring out and administration of the aged unwell inhabitants. The identify has been generally revised and updates to mirror the large adjustments in remedies and health conditions emerged on account that e-book of the 3rd variation.
Temper issues in Later existence examines the spectrum of temper problems in older adults, concentrating on significant and nonmajor depressive issues, bipolar illness (manic and depressive phases), melancholy with psychotic gains, and vascular melancholy. intensive discussions of analysis and therapies together with psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy, and ECT might help clinicians enhance therapy results of their aged sufferers.
A few famous age-related neurological ailments contain Parkinson's disorder, Alzheimer's affliction, deafness, and blindness. much more universal are the issues of getting older which aren't as a result of affliction yet to extra refined impairments in neurobiological structures, together with impairments in imaginative and prescient, reminiscence loss, muscle weakening, and lack of reproductive capabilities, alterations in bodyweight, and sleeplessness.
It’s a center factor on the center of elder care: whereas best-practice information exist for long term care, caliber of lifestyles as an idea, degree and conventional for care results is still elusive. the results of an bold eu learn initiative, the Care Keys venture addresses caliber of existence matters between frail, care-dependent seniors, taking their social in addition to healthiness wishes under consideration.
- Menopause Matters: Your Guide to a Long and Healthy Life (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book)
- Leben ohne Tod?: Forscher besiegen das Altern
- The Role of Aging in Atherosclerosis: The sequestration hypothesis
- Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Volume 10, 1990: Biology of Aging
- Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonism in the Elderly
- Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Volume 14, 1994: Focus on Assessment Techniques
Extra resources for Alzheimer's disease and related disorders annual, 2002
Alzheimer-like neurodegeneration in aged antinerve growth factor transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000; 97: 6826–6831. 103. Henriksson BG, Soderstrom S, Gower AJ et al. Hippocampal nerve growth factor levels are related to spatial learning ability in aged rats. Behav Brain Res 1992; 48:15–20. 104. Holtzman DM, Li Y, Chen K et al. Nerve growth factor reverses neuronal atrophy in a Down syndrome model of age-related neurodegeneration. Neurology 1993; 43:2668–2673. 105. Broe GA, Grayson DA, Creasey HM et al.
Biochim Biophys Acta 2000; 1477:299–306. 9. Troy CM. Diversity of Caspase Involvement in Neuronal Cell Death. In: Mattson MP, Estus S, eds. Programmed Cell Death: Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms. Elsevier Science, 2000:67–92. 10. Talanian RV, Quinlan C, Trautz S et al. Substrate specificities of caspase family proteases. J Biol Chem 1997; 272:9677–9682. 11. Thornberry NA, Rano TA, Peterson EP et al. A combinatorial approach defines specificities of members of the caspase family and granzyme B.
18. Deveraux QL, Leo E, Stennicke HR et al. Cleavage of human inhibitor of apoptosis protein XIAP results in fragments with distinct specificities for caspases. Embo J 1999; 18: 5242–5451. 19. Chan SL, Griffin WS, Mattson MP. Evidence for caspase-mediated cleavage of AMPA receptor subunits in neuronal apoptosis and Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurosci Res 1999; 57:315–323. 20. Tewari M, Quan LT, O’Rourke K et al. Yama/CPP32 beta, a mammalian homolog of CED-3, is a CrmA-inhibitable protease that cleaves the death substrate poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase.