By Lonely Planet, Ben Handicott
Thank the celebrities for the world's eccentric creditors; hoarders of gadgets attractive, unusual or downright extraordinary. it truly is those documentors of the nice and trivial - who are looking to exhibit us all anything fantastic approximately their collections and percentage the insights into humankind every one of them illuminates - who've created the main interesting, really good and beneficial museums the planet has to supply.
Boggle on the enormity of house, get nostalgic at formative years thoughts or be dumbstruck by means of the overseas Museum of Toilets... no matter if you are a historical past buff, tech-head or have an inexplicable fascination with clowns, you will find world-class collections right here to pique your curiosity.
Never drag your heels round a lifeless museum back!
Then & now // background museums
- Acropolis Museum // Greece
- British Museum // united kingdom
- Forbidden urban // China
- Goethe residence & Goethe Museum // Germany
- Imperial warfare Museum // united kingdom
- Museum of Alchemists & Magicians of previous Prague // Czech Republic
- Museum of Mummies of Guanajuato // Mexico
- National Museum of Anthropology // Mexico
- Old working Theatre Museum & Herb Garret // united kingdom
- Prison Gate Museum // The Netherlands
- Sir John Soane's Museum // united kingdom
- Styrian Armoury // Austria
- Torture Museum // The Netherlands
- Vasa Museum // Sweden
- Viking send Museum // Norway
- Whitney Plantation // united states
The global round us // traditional historical past museums
- Kunstkamera // Russia 6
- Messner Mountain Museum // Italy
- Sarawak country Museum // Malaysia
- Smithsonian establishment // united states
Human creativity // paintings & tradition museums
- American vintage Arcade Museum // united states
- Belgian Brewers Museum // Belgium
- Burlesque corridor of popularity // united states
- Coffee Museum // Brazil
- Erawan Museum // Thailand
- Ghibli Museum // Japan
- Grammy Museum // united states
- The eco-friendly Vault // Germany
- Museum of adolescence // united kingdom
- Musical tools Museum // united states
- Soumaya Museum // Mexico
- Vodka Museum // Russia
Things that cross // technology & expertise museums
- Bicycle Museum of the United States // united states
- Big gap & Open Mine Museum // South Africa
- Exploratorium // united states
- National Maritime Museum // France
- National Rail Museum // united kingdom
- New Mexico Museum of area historical past // united states
- New York urban fireplace Museum // united states
- Pencil Museum // united kingdom
- Porsche Museum // Germany
- Sewer Museum // France
- Sulabh overseas Museum of bogs // India
Peculiar passions // Quirky museums
- Avanos Hair Museum // Turkey
- Clown corridor of reputation & learn Centre // united states
- Cupnoodles Museum // Japan
- Gopher gap Museum // Canada
- International Cryptozoology Museum // united states
- Museum of damaged Relationships // Croatia
- Watermelon Museum // China
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's top trip consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth. Lonely Planet's undertaking is to allow curious guests to event the realm and to really get to the center of the locations they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 winner in favourite go back and forth advisor category
'Lonely Planet courses are, effectively, like no other.' - manhattan occasions
'Lonely Planet. it really is on everyone's bookshelves; it really is in each traveller's fingers. it truly is on cellphones. it truly is on the web. it is all over the place, and it is telling whole generations of individuals find out how to trip the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
Read or Download 50 Museums to Blow Your Mind PDF
Similar travel books
Few foreigners were fortunate adequate to set foot on Tibetan soil – Alec Le Sueur spent 5 remarkable years there, operating for a world lodge chain. opposed to the breathtaking fantastic thing about the Himalayas he unfolds a hugely fun and politically enlightening account of his reviews.
Lonely Planet become aware of San Francisco is your passport to all of the so much correct and up to date recommendation on what to determine, what to bypass, and what hidden discoveries anticipate you. Watch fog creep underneath the Golden Gate Bridge, journey a cable motor vehicle previous stately Victorians, or style the simplest of California food on the Ferry development; all along with your depended on go back and forth better half.
Lonely Planet Sri Lanka is your passport to the main appropriate, up to date suggestion on what to determine and bypass, and what hidden discoveries look forward to you. persist with within the footsteps of Buddha and modern day pilgrims to the summit of Adam's top, wander the crumbling ruins and misplaced towns of the cultural triangle within the middle of the island or discover undiscovered shorelines at the lately reopened east coast; all along with your depended on trip better half.
This compendium of 4,250 Latin words and quotations will make clear formerly encountered words and introduce a plethora of latest ones. it truly is an easy-to-use resource booklet that bridges the space among the normal Latin dictionary and the school table dictionary, with its smattering of Latin expressions.
- Canary Islands - Eyewitness Travel Guide.
- Istanbul Stories - travel stories told by the best local tour guide
- Eyewitness Travel Family Guide to France: Western France
- I Never Knew That About Wales
- Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Baked Beans: My Search for Britain's Maddest Museums
Extra info for 50 Museums to Blow Your Mind
And you can see many of them here. The curators reckon that with about 1000 bikes in the collection, you’ll probably see your own first machine here; prepare for a little nostalgia as you recall that first tumble off your bike... ZA IS THIS JUST A BIG HOLE IN THE GROUND? Well, yes and no. 6km and a depth of over 240m it is a pretty impressive big hole in the ground. Still, it’s why it was dug that piques the interest of most visitors. GO ON. In 1866 Erasmus Jacobs found a white pebble on the banks of the Orange River, near Hopetown.
Creating music, recording music, the stars themselves, the instruments they play…you can see, experience, hear and touch your way through decades of popular culture as revealed through music. I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A ROCK STAR. The inspiration is here. There are special exhibits as well, often focusing on particular artists, so you could visit a few times and experience something different on each occasion. A SAFE FULL OF MONEY? Definitely, though not the folding kind. Inside is Europe’s largest collection of royal treasures.
It’s a great exploration of warfare, in many ways tracing the transition from medieval hand-wielded weapons to explosives – guns and cannons. NL I’M IN THE MOOD FOR A LESSON IN ABJECT CRUELTY FROM THE MIDDLE AGES. Be prepared to have your belief in the basic good of human nature severely tested. The exhibits here at the Torture Museum are mind-blowing, stomach-churning, gobsmacking. You’ll find it difficult to believe how creative we can be when it comes to finding ways to make our own kind suffer.